With reams of information out there about the numerous health benefits of drinking coffee, it’s challenging to figure out whether cold coffee is better than hot coffee. On the one hand, a nice warm drink can make you feel sleepy, but many people swear by their morning cup of hot joe.
Cold coffee could be better at keeping you awake than hot coffee. Cold coffee is healthier for you than hot coffee and offers health benefits such as low acidity, helps prevent heart attacks, and more. However, hot coffee gives you more of a positivity boost.
The following article will examine the benefits of cold coffee versus hot coffee for staying awake. We will also share some of the benefits of drinking coffee and show you some other ways to stay awake. Read on for the ultimate verdict on cold coffee versus hot coffee.
Benefits of Drinking Cold Coffee
Scientists discovered many excellent health benefits to drinking cold coffee, such as less acidity. Plenty of people enjoy iced coffee, and as long as you watch out for the sugar content (we recommend brewing iced coffee yourself), you’re choosing a much healthier option than hot coffee. Read more about the benefits of drinking cold coffee below.
- Low acidity: Cold coffee is lower in acid than hot coffee, which is better for your teeth and easier on your digestion. If you suffer upset stomachs when drinking hot coffee, consider switching to cold coffee instead. The acid in regular coffee contributes to tooth decay and cavities. Switching to cold coffee helps protect your teeth and spares you unnecessary trips to the dentist.
- Helps prevent heart attacks: Studies on how coffee affects the heart and circulatory system reveal that drinking coffee lowers your heart attack risk and protects you against stroke and cardiovascular disease. With all its other health benefits, cold coffee is an even better option than hot coffee, but any coffee helps protect you from heart problems in the future.
- Wakes you up: One problem with drinking hot coffee is that having a nice, warm drink in your belly makes you tired. Cold coffee will help to wake you up, and shock your system into alertness, the same way splashing cold water on your face does. It might work even better if you find the taste bad, as this will shock you awake for sure.
The Mayo Clinic has an excellent video on the benefits of drinking coffee here:
Benefits of Drinking Hot Coffee
Despite the superior benefits of drinking cold coffee, hot coffee has a variety of benefits too. Most people enjoy a hot drink, especially coffee drinkers, and in the colder months, it can feel like a luxury you don’t want to go without. Hot coffee is also more readily available, and we’ve all been tempted by a coffee cart in the throes of winter.
- More caffeine: Hot coffee has more caffeine than cold coffee, but depending on how you look at it, this could be a negative thing rather than a benefit. If caffeine is what gets you awake in the morning, then hot coffee is a better option. However, if you’re trying to avoid or cut down on caffeine, opt for cold coffee instead.
- Lifts mood and increases positivity: A warm drink in the morning increases positivity and lifts your mood. Everyone has a battle to face, and for some of us, getting up in the morning is tough. Whether you suffer from depression, find things challenging lately, or would just like a mood boost, try a hot cup of coffee first thing in the morning.
- More aromatic: Brewing hot coffee offers a lingering aroma that makes you feel good for much longer than your drink lasts. Even if you don’t drink hot coffee, the smell of fresh-brewed coffee may remind you of coffee and awareness and help you stay awake. Why not try brewing some up, even if it’s just for the aroma?
- More antioxidants: With more antioxidants than cold coffee, hot coffee is better for you. Antioxidants help protect your body against heart disease and other damage. They help prevent illness, and anything containing antioxidants has benefits for your health. Vitamins like C and E are high in antioxidants, so stock up on oranges and other citrus foods, too.
Cold Coffee vs. Hot Coffee for Staying Awake: Which One Should You Choose?
Whereas cold coffee is better for you in general, either cold or hot coffee will potentially help you stay awake. What keeps you awake and alert is a very individual thing, and it may take some experimentation to figure out what works for you.
Cold coffee is a better choice for you if you like a short, sharp shock to wake you up or if it’s a hot day. A warm drink on a hot day will make you feel muggy and drowsy.
Hot coffee is better at keeping you awake if you love the scent of coffee and associate this with mornings, or you run on caffeine. Hot coffee is a good choice if you suffer from a low mood in the mornings.
Other Benefits of Drinking Coffee
Coffee offers some excellent health benefits, such as:
- Brain boost
- Lower risk of diabetes
- Helps fight depression
- Social activity
Drinking coffee functions in much the same way as eating a meal together. It’s a social activity, and a healthy amount of socialization is crucial to human health. Isolation and loneliness can cause physical problems, as well as depression and anxiety. Find someone you love and grab a coffee with them. It’s good for you!
Other Good Ways to Stay Awake
You may choose to forgo coffee entirely and select another method of staying awake. It’s useful to have other options available to you if coffee on its own doesn’t work or you run out of milk. Ultimately, the body needs a decent amount of sleep and ensuring you get that is a great way to keep awake when you need to be.
Let Some Fresh Air In
If you’re finding yourself drifting off in the office, open a window and let some fresh air in. This will wake you up in the winter, but you will find it more challenging to achieve this in summer. During summer, make sure you have adequate air conditioning or grab some ice or a cold towel.
Handheld fans are fully portable and could make a big difference. We recommend Miady’s Portable Fans from Amazon. They come in a two-pack, so you’ll always have a spare on hand.
Grab an Energy Drink
Grabbing an energy drink from the store on your way to work will help you stay awake. However, these tend to be addictive, expensive, and full of sugar. The energy you gain will dissipate fast, leaving you in more of a fug than you were before. A cup of coffee is much better than an energy drink.
Eat Proper Meals
One of the best ways to stay awake is to eat proper meals with fresh fruits and vegetables. Balanced plates and plenty of fresh ingredients provide the body with higher levels of longer-lasting energy. You’ll feel more alert, have more energy, and probably sleep better, too.
In this article, we looked at the benefits of drinking cold and hot coffee and shared our verdict on which is best for staying awake. We also offered information on other health benefits of drinking coffee, and more tips for staying awake, such as eating proper meals and getting some fresh air.
- Bustle: 5 Surprising Health Benefits Of Drinking Hot Coffee Vs. Iced Coffee
- Penn State University: Iced vs Hot Coffee: What’s The Difference?
- Mayo Clinic: Slide show: Add antioxidants to your diet
Does Flavored Coffee Have Carbs?
Flavored coffee can pack a lot of calories into a 12 or 16-ounce (354.9- or 473.2-ml) cup. Does flavored coffee have carbs? Read our article for more.
What Happens When You Drink Coffee Every Morning?
Two to four daily cups are linked to a lower risk of depression in men and women. What happens when you drink coffee every morning?
Why Does My Coffee Taste Like Plastic?
This is a likely problem with coffee makers that have a plastic water reservoir. Why does my coffee taste like plastic?